Treaty 2 Territory – The fundamental mandate of the Directorate is to develop community-based program of sports and recreation for all ages of children, youth, adults and seniors at the First Nation levels.
In fulfilling the mandate, the Director will survey the communities to identify known athletes and sports persons, including those who do not live on reserve, and to determine if and how they might become involved in the program. The survey will also seek the level of intertest for establishing sports leagues, tournaments and other recreational events. Each community’s sports/recreation infrastructure, fields, arenas, gym, etc., will be profiled and assessed.
The Directorate is responsible for the 2020 Winter Games at Pinaymootang (Fairford) First Nation, including preparation for the logistics of the games, as well as preparation of athletes for each of the events in each of the communities.
- Job Title: Community Planner, Sports and Recreation
- Proposed start date: 11 February 2019
- Job/Office location: TBA, Treaty 2 Territory
- Wage: Discussed at interview process
- Manage and promote the Sports and Recreation Directorate within the Community Relations Secretariat;
- Lead the development regarding sports, recreation and activities with the overall Nation Re-Building process;
- Work with Senior Management to assure the tasks set out from the workplan are achieved;
- Work on new forms of Traditional Sports and Recreation;
- Identify how Sports and Recreation can lead to better living standards and close the gap;
- Create a tool kit that will help each community with the process of creating a Sports and Recreation Strategic Plan;
- Assist each community to create an action plan and calendar;
- Assist each community in the development of community-oriented materials, posters, brochures, briefing notes, etc. narrating stories within sports and recreation;
- Assist each community to prepare a community needs assessments to identify and understand the current position each community is in and to identify and analyze current position;
- Assist each community to build strong working relationships through Nation Building process;
- Manage Minor Hockey Championships 14-17 March, 2019;
- Manage the 2020 Winter Games at Pinaymootang (Fairford) First Nation, including preparation for the logistics of the games, as well as preparation of athletes for each of the events in each of the communities;
- Assist in the organizing of the Celebration of Nations event 14-17 March 2019;
- Work on Certification program for coaches, trainers, staffers, parents and volunteers;
- Develop proposals for funding from commercial sponsorship, federal funding, fund-raising activities, relationships with sister/brother teams elsewhere, etc.
- Consult with Elders, youth and members, exploring the merits of revitalizing traditional games or sports that are a part of the cultural way of life of the communities and the territory;
- Manage and work within the budget for the position.
- Good communication skills and experience working/interacting;
- Degree and/or work experience in Sports and Recreation management;
- Certification in Coaching, Officiating will be an asset;
- Experience and education in research, writing, community planning and development in sports and recreation management;
- Work without supervision and under a workplan and structured team atmosphere;
- Good oral, written and visual presentation will be a daily requirement;
- Valid Driver’s licence – Class 5 with reliable vehicle required;
- Travel within the Treaty 2 Territory as a priority;
- Anishinaabe language and understanding of traditions and culture an asset;
- Reporting and presenting to senior management of Anishinaabe Agowidiiwinan –Treaty 2.
Please Apply by Thursday 31 January 2019 (Letter and resume):
Anishinaabe Agowidiiwinan –Treaty 2:
Box 1254, Lake Manitoba First Nation
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Must indicate you are available to work.
As part of the interview it would be advantages to present a PPT setting out how you would approach this position in the performance of the above Job Description.
Last modified: January 17, 2019